Sunday, 21 September 2014

'I wish that I could be like the cool kids...



… ‘cause all the cool kids, they seem to fit in' – Echosmith; one of those few songs of 2014 that has substance. The lyrics are simple and straightforward; the meaning, not so much.

I’m not going to drag this by writing a long article, because I don’t even like writing articles. It’s just that, when I first heard the song it immediately made me think of the ‘cool kids’ around me. I’ve just completed my A’levels (as I have mentioned several times before) and I have seen people, even friends, drastically change in these two years.

The race to be ‘apparently’ better than the next person is something you see everywhere whether it’s in real life or on social media networks. If someone has, say about, a 100 likes on their Facebook display picture they are automatically labeled as ‘cool’ and ‘popular’. The ones with 20 likes observe these 'cool' kids, stalk them and then the hate starts. I’m not going to go into detail about haters on social networks, because that is the topic for a guest post I’m planning on writing for another blog, but to put it simply, envy sparks hatred, and the desire to be one of the ‘cool’ kids creates enemies.

Notice how I’ve used inverted commas for cool. That’s because what most of the society perceives as ‘cool’ really isn’t that cool at all, and in reality, quite the opposite. I won’t write facts. Everyone knows them. I’m going to write what I’ve personally experienced.

Before A’levels, I was too, in fact, one of the ‘cool’ kids. I was popular (some would use the word ‘infamous’ too) and many people admired me. But let me tell you this, it’s not a pretty world there. Yes, you get praise and yes, you feel awesome when you do. But you get no respect out of it. People who boot lick you say, excuse me for using this word, shit behind your back. So sure, it’s ‘cool’ from the outside and everyone thinks you have the perfect life. But it’s not really.

I slowly began going into the background during A’levels and I wasn’t in the limelight anymore. But I’ve seen people who were refined and respected before joining A’levels and they completely changed. And all of this because they wanted to look 'cool'.

Some girls in my school, for example, dressed up and did their hair in the most impeccable way just so no one would look down on them. And the guys? Yeah, they loved hanging out with these girls and flattering them but they never really respected them and then they discussed that 'cool' girl among their guy friends in a not so nice way. This I know from very reliable sources. That’s just a general example.

Now here’s a specific one. There is a person who I have known for years now. Before A’levels, he was a quiet, staying in the background, dressing up decently kind of guy. Not a lot of people knew him, just a handful of friends. By the end of his AS level, he completely reformed into someone I couldn’t even recognize anymore. Where once he used to tuck his shirt in his pants and have a decent hairstyle, now he keeps his shirt buttons open, his sleeves rolled up to his armpits and a hairstyle that resembles somewhat to Harry Styles. He even talks in a made-up accent. Shocked at this transformation, I began to realize how much he had always wanted to be among the 'cool' crowd. People say he’s got style now, I think he just developed an irritating 'I'm-better-than-you' ego, and deep inside is severly complexed. People say he’s popular and unique, I say he’s another fish in the pond.

In Pakistan, the opposite for ‘cool’ isn’t un-cool. It’s ‘paindu’. If you’re not wearing bold clothes, if you’re not taking selfies with you pouting and posting them on Instagram to get people to like them, then you’re simply just ‘paindu’. And so, these so-called ‘paindu’ bunch of kids start having a serious inferiority complex when, in reality, they are much better off as who they are than the ‘cool’ kids they wish to be. Because being ‘cool’ doesn’t automatically make your life rainbows and butterflies. There’s a lot going behind the picture than what meets the eye.

I’m not saying you shouldn’t groom yourself or follow up with the latest trends because that’s okay if it’s right. What I’m saying is that being fake popular and ‘cool’ isn’t a quality you should look up to. It just completely destroys your personality and that’s when you lose your uniqueness. Because then you’re not defined by who you are, you’re defined by the amount of followers you have on your Instagram.

Stay original. 

Peace.

2 comments:

  1. I totally get where you're coming from. I like the ending "stay original". :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete